Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who is in you?

Today, I awoke to church bells at 8 a.m. I decided that I would go to the gym and work out, since I have neglected my membership for the past 2 months. I braced the FREEZING cold weather and sped off.

Upon entering the gym, I refused to make eye contact with anyone, given the hideous shape that I had allowed myself to form into...beer gut, taco bell booty, fry thighs, you get the jist. I hopped onto the treadmill, and not even ten minutes go by, when I become short of breath. I told myself to get over it and keep going, which I did. For 45 awful minutes, I busted my ass, increasing in speed and elevation. And as the last two minutes approached, I noticed a difference in my stride. My once dumpy and tired clomp was now replaced by a sassy, chipper strut. I actually found myself wanting to continue on! I had to coax myself off of the mill, knowing that was the only way I was going to be able to function at work tomorrow.

I arrived home, and after kissing my still sleeping soulmate on his cheek, I jumped into the shower. The sun shone through the window. I closed my eyes and breathed. And then, out of nowhere(perhaps the sun?), a thought penetrated my brain: "Your body is a temple".

Um, no, mine is not. Or at least, it has not been treated as a proper temple should be treated...For example: I was rinsing 2 day old mascara off of my frail and soft eyelashes. I was scrubbing my face for the first time in a week. That's right, seven days. I shaved my legs of the 5 days of hair that had roughly began growing in fields on my calves and shins.I gently rubbed conditioner over my(currently red) hair, whose actual/natural color I'd forgotten years ago. And I was(just) getting over a 36 hour hangover I'd given to myself after an over-indulgence in wheat beer.

So I decided I am going to start caring for my body. I will brush my cigarette and coffee stained teeth, three times daily, and I will floss. I will eat a diet that will properly nourish my body, not one that will be grease based. I will try to stay away coffee and tea, seeing as the backs of my teeth are borderline decaying. I will give my body exercise, because it needs to be more tone(in case of a situation that will call for me having to run...for a longer period of time than 1 minute), and it awakens my mind. And...ha...I will shortly begin the process of omiting nicotine.

Now you know why I describe this blog as a mixture of comedy, drama, horror, and documentary. I'm sure it will be all of that. And, sadly, then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment